Cities / Towns in Romania → Tourist attractions in or nearby the city of Cluj-Napoca
Municipiul Turda (RO) - The city of Turda (EN)
- Shortest distance from Cluj-Napoca: ~35 km.
- Turda is one of the 6 cities of Cluj county and the second largest after the county capital, in terms of the population, representing 8.31% of the total county population and 14.57% of the urban population.
- Through the Gothic and Renaissance architecture, which we find in the old part of Turda, it falls into the category of centers with Transylvanian urban tradition, being at the same time, an occasion to delight any tourist eager to visit this area attested as Potaissa in Antiquity as a Dacian fortress.
- The oldest traces of human settlements in the area date back to the Middle Paleolithic, however the most important phases regarding the history of this area are strongly connected to the presence of the Dacians and subsequently to the arrival of the Romans, when the settlement receives the Latin name of Potaissa. In 168, the emperor Marcus Aurelius transfers to Potaissa the V. Macedonica legion, later the location receiving the rank of Municipium and then the status of Colonia. Potaissa was the basecamp of the Legio V Macedonica from 166 to 274.
- In Turda we can also find Turda Salt Mine (Salina Turda) which accounts itself as a veritable museum of salt mining, the increasing number of tourists arriving from the furthermost geographic areas demonstrating an acknowledgement of the its touristic and historical value.
- According to Business Insider, Salina Turda is ranked 22 among the most spectacular tourist destinations in the world.
The city of Turda, Cluj county, Transylvania, Romania
The nearest tourist information center click below for more details...
CENTRUL NAŢIONAL DE INFORMARE ŞI PROMOVARE TURISTICĂ CLUJ
The source of the texts/images/photos: CNIPT Cluj. Copyright© CNIPT Cluj
Get to know about the other tourist attractions in Cluj-Napoca and nearby!
TOP 10 CITIES / TOWNS IN ROMANIA
- Str. Memorandumului nr. 21, Cluj-Napoca
- Tel / fax: 0264-450.410
- Program: Oct-Apr: Monday-Sunday: 09.00-17.00
- May-Sept: M-F: 09.00-19.00; Sat-Sun: 09.00-17.00
- E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web: www.clujtourism.ro
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ClujTourism/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/ClujTourism
- Youtube: Cluj Tourism
- Instagram: Cluj Tourism
- App (IOS, Google Play & Windows): Cluj Tourism
Other important cities / towns in Romania