Cities / Towns in Romania → Tourist attractions in or nearby the city of Carei
Sinagoga din Carei (RO) - The Synagogue from Carei (EN)
- By the middle of the 19th century, the Jewish population in Carei counted up to 1,500. In 1940 they reached the milestone of 3,000. The building of the still standing Synagogue began in 1866, then it was renewed and extended in 1890.
- The orthodox community built themselves a smaller Synagogue, which, in the meantime, has ceased to exist.
- Due to the drastic decrease of believers, the Synagogue is unused nowadays, but it still remains one of the town's most important monuments. The Synagogue's main facade is held by four stone pillars, with a representation of Moses' tablets in the center. In front of the building, an obelisk stands tall as a memorial for the victims of the Holocaust.
The Synagogue from Carei, Satu Mare county, Romania
The local tourist information center click below for more details...
Centrul de Promovare a Turismului Cultural Gróf Károlyi
The source of the texts/images/photos: CPTC Gróf Károlyi. Copyright© CPTC Gróf Károlyi
Get to know about the other tourist attractions in Carei and nearby!
- Str. 1 Decembrie 1918 nr.1, Carei, 445100
- tel. 0261-861.481
- Program: 08:00 - 16:00 (Mon-Fri)
- E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- WEB: www.visitcarei.ro