Commune / Village name & location: Săpânţa, Maramureş (MM) county, Romania.
The Merry Cemetery → Cimitirul vesel
- The fame of Săpânţa village from Maramureş, is drawn from its famous Merry Cemetery (Cimitirul Vesel), which has become, in time, an important well known tourist attraction.
- According to the local tradition, a joyful attitude to death is a custom of the old Dacians who believed in eternal life, and death for them was just a move to another, better world. The Merry Cemetery is a vivid evidence of their believe.
Memorial House of Stan Ioan Pătraş → Casa memoriala Stan Ioan Pătraş
- The Merry Cemetery from Săpânţa is famous for its colorful tombstones with naïve paintings describing, in an original and poetic manner, the people who are buried there as well as scenes from their lives.
Peri Săpânţa Monastery → Manastirea Peri Săpânţa
- Memorial House of Stan Ioan Pătraş (1908-1977, a complex folk artist, the creator of the tombstones in the Merry Cemetery) is located about 200 m from the Merry Cemetery.
- Peri Săpânţa Monastery, registered in the Guinness Book, was built in 1391. With its tower of 78 meters, is considered to be the highest wooden church in the world.
TOP 10 COMMUNES / VILLAGES IN ROMANIA
Other communes / villages with tourist attractions in Romania