Cities / Towns in Romania → Tourist attractions in or nearby the city of Botoșani
Monumentul răscoalei ţărăneşti din 1907 (RO)
Monumentul răscoalei ţărăneşti din 1907
Monument of peasants' revolt in 1907 (EN)
- The peasant revolt began on February 21st (February 8th) 1907 in Flămânzi, Botoşani, and spread throughout the country over the next period.
- The main cause was the peasants' dissatisfaction with the inequity of land ownership, in the hands of only a few large owners.
- The beginning of the rebellion was in the village of Flămânzi in Botoşani County, on the estate owned by the Fischer brothers who held most of the land in what was then called "Fischerland". They rented the land to tenants for very large sums of money, and they were backed by money paid by peasants' work. Their abuses in the attempt to make the highest profit were the peasants even more discontented.
- The revolt gradually spread throughout Moldova in March. The rebellious peasants attacked the tenants' mansions, but the lessees were no longer there: Mochi Fischer, like other lessees, fled to Austrian Bukovina in Chernivtsi.
- The revolt was defeated by the government, and its repression by the army ended with the killing of some of the country's rural population.
- The monument is made in the communist period in 1978 by the sculptor Gavril Covalschi and presents three sequences of the peasants' revolt in 1907.
Monument of peasants' revolt in 1907, Botoşani, Botoşani county, Romania
The local tourist information center click below for more details...
CENTRUL NAŢIONAL DE INFORMARE ŞI PROMOVARE TURISTICĂ BOTOȘANI
The source of the texts/images/photos: CNIPT Botoșani. Copyright© CNIPT Botoșani
Get to know about the other tourist attractions in Botoșani and nearby!
- Piața 1 Decembrie 1918, nr.4, Botoșani
- Tel / fax: 0231-519.519
- Program: Monday - Sunday: 0900 - 1700
- E-Mail: email@example.com
- Web: www.visitbotosani.ro
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VisitBotosani-355577657944885/
- Youtube: CNIPT Botosani
- Instagram: cniptbotosani