Cities / Towns in Romania → Tourist attractions in or nearby the city of Cluj-Napoca
Monumentul Memorandiştilor (RO)
The Monument of the Memorandum Signatories EN)
- In 1892, the most prominent Romanian personalities from Transylvania drew up a memorandum addressed to the imperial court from Vienna, by which they protested against the condition of the Romanian ethnic groups from Transylvania, who represented the majority of the population, and requested regard of their fair rights.
- In the same year 1892, a Romanian delegation tried to hand in the memorandum to the Emperor Franz Joseph but he did not greet them.
- In 1894, the memorandum signatories were sued in Cluj, the trial taking place in the Reduta hall, inside the present building of the Ethnographic Museum from Transylvania (Muzeul Etnografic al Transilvaniei). They were sentenced to imprisonment and the activity of the Romanian National Party was prohibited. After the diplomatic intervention of the Romanian King, Carol I of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen, the authorities released the convicted ones.
- In 1994, when 100 years turned since the event took place, the local authorities decided to place in the centre of the city, on Eroilor Street, a monument in the memory of those who represented the Romanian community during those times. The statue is the work of the sculptor Eugen Paul, has a height of 18 metres and the words of Ioan Raţiu are written on the pedestal: "The existence of a nation is not discussed, it is affirmed!".
The Monument of the Memorandum Signatories from Cluj-Napoca
The local tourist information center click below for more details...
CENTRUL NAŢIONAL DE INFORMARE ŞI PROMOVARE TURISTICĂ CLUJ
The source of the texts/images/photos: CNIPT Cluj. Copyright© CNIPT Cluj
Get to know about the other tourist attractions in Cluj-Napoca and nearby!
TOP 10 MONUMENTS IN ROMANIA
- Str. Memorandumului nr. 21, Cluj-Napoca
- Tel / fax: 0264-450.410
- Program: Oct-Apr: Monday-Sunday: 09.00-17.00
- May-Sept: M-F: 09.00-19.00; Sat-Sun: 09.00-17.00
- E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web: www.clujtourism.ro
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ClujTourism/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/ClujTourism
- Youtube: Cluj Tourism
- Instagram: Cluj Tourism
- App (IOS, Google Play & Windows): Cluj Tourism
Other monuments in Romania