Cities / Towns in Romania → Tourist attractions in or nearby the city of Sighetu Marmației
Memorialul Victimelor Comunismului și al Rezistenței (RO)
Memorialul Victimelor Comunismului și al Rezistenței
The Memorial of the Victims of Communism and of the Resistance (EN)
- The Memorial of the Victims of Communism and Resistance is the most visited tourist attraction in Sighetu Marmației.
- The museum was built in 1897 as a common law prison by the Austro-Hungarian administration, and was used during the period 1950-1955 as a political prison of the Romanian elite. On June 20, 1997, the Museum and the Space for Prayer and Recollection were inaugurated, in the same year, the Memorial being declared "an ensemble of national interest".
- The museum was recognized as the most important project dedicated by the civil society to the reconstruction and analysis of the communist past, being the first of its kind in the Central and Eastern European countries.
The Memorial of the Victims of Communism and of the Resistance
Sighetu Marmației, Maramureș county, Romania (© www.salutsighet.ro)
The Cortege of the Sacrificial Victims (© www.sighet.ro)
The local tourist information center click below for more details...
CENTRUL NAŢIONAL DE INFORMARE ŞI PROMOVARE TURISTICĂ SIGHETU MARMAŢIEI
- Piaţa Libertăţii nr.26, Sighetu Marmației
- tel: 0371-347.133, fax: 0371-607.394
- Program: daily, 0900 - 1700
- Facebook: Visit Sighetu Marmatiei
- E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- WEB: www.turismsighet.ro