Cities / Towns in Romania → Tourist attractions in or nearby the city of Târgu Neamț
Mănăstirea Agapia (RO) - Agapia Monastery (EN)
- Agapia Monastery (also called Agapia Nouă Monastery for differentiation of the Old Agapia Hermitage) is an Orthodox monastery in northern Romania, located on the valley of the Agapia stream, at a distance of 9 km from the town of Târgu Neamţ. It is located in the middle of a forest, 3 km away from the village of Agapia (Neamţ County).
- Agapia Monastery is one of the largest monasteries of nuns in Romania, having 300-400 nuns and is second to the population after Văratec Monastery (Mănăstirea Văratec).
- With the occasion of the 1858 refurbishment, the church interior was painted by the great Romanian painter Nicolae Grigorescu, between 1858 and 1861. The painter used living models, carefully selected, in order to make his portraits, and for the structure he drew upon the great masters of the Renaissance. For the Icon of Saint George standing, from the left door of the altar, he drew upon the sculpture of Donatello from Florence, and in order to make the Prophet Daniel, from the left side of the upper register of the tampa, he made his self-portrait.
Agapia Monastery, Neamţ county, Romania
The nearest tourist information center click below for more details...
CENTRUL NAŢIONAL DE INFORMARE ŞI PROMOVARE TURISTICĂ TÂRGU NEAMȚ
The source of the texts/images/photos: CNIPT Târgu Neamț. Copyright© CNIPT Târgu Neamț
Get to know about the other tourist attractions in Târgu Neamț and nearby!
- B-dul Ștefan cel Mare 42, Târgu Neamț, jud. Neamț
- tel: 0233-663.055
- Program: daily, 1000-1700
- E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- WEB: www.tirguneamt-turistic.ro
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/cnipttgneamt