Cities / Towns in Romania → Tourist attractions in or nearby the city of Cluj-Napoca
Mănăstirea Adormirea Maicii Domnului de la Nicula (RO)
Mănăstirea Adormirea Maicii Domnului de la Nicula
The Assumption of Virgin Mary Monastery from Nicula (EN)
- Shortest distance from Cluj-Napoca: ~50 km.
- In the hilly area of Nicula village, at about 7 km from the city of Gherla, a monastery which had to become one of the most important monastic centres of Transylvania was established. The year 1699 is marked by a miraculous phenomenon: the icon of Virgin Mary, painted by the priest Luca from Iclod, weeped between the 15th of February and 12th of March 1699. Nowadays, 15th august of each year is the date of the largest pilgrimage in Transylvania, together with the celebration of the Assumption of Virgin Mary, the patron of the monastery.
- An iconographic glass painting center develops within the area of Nicula monastery, the glass painting technique been imported from Austria, Bohemia and Bavaria. But the difference between the icons of Nicula School and those from the Western Europe consists of the specific stylistic elements related to the fact that most authors were anonymous craftsmen coming from the rural areas, and, as regards the theme, the spiritual one is almost exclusively approached.
- The first documentary record indicates the existence of a wooden church in Maramureşan style, dedicated to the “Holy Trinity”, which was destroyed by a fire in 1973, being replaced with a wooden church of the 17th century.
- The first stone church is erected between 1875-1879-1905 - a large building with two spires above the narthex. The iconostasis, which has in its centre a miracle-making icon of Virgin Mary, is carved in lime.
- Nowadays, besides the wooden church and the stone one, a monumental church in Brâncoveanu style and an architectural ensemble, designed to become a center of patristic studies and creative workshop for continuing the tradition of the glass painting school of Nicula, were built on the initiative of the archbishop Bartolomeu Anania.
- The Monastery of Nicula has a museum endowed with a rich collection of glass icons from Nicula, Făgăraş or Scheii Braşovului, and of wooden icons from Maramureş and Someş dating from the 16th and 17th centuries. Also, the museum holds a collection of religious books, wood and root sculptures, ceramics, fabrics or cloths.
The Assumption of Virgin Mary Monastery from Nicula, Cluj county, Romania
The nearest tourist information center click below for more details...
CENTRUL NAŢIONAL DE INFORMARE ŞI PROMOVARE TURISTICĂ CLUJ
The source of the texts/images/photos: CNIPT Cluj. Copyright© CNIPT Cluj
Get to know about the other tourist attractions in Cluj-Napoca and nearby!
TOP 10 MONASTERIES IN ROMANIA
- Str. Memorandumului nr. 21, Cluj-Napoca
- Tel / fax: 0264-450.410
- Program: Oct-Apr: Monday-Sunday: 09.00-17.00
- May-Sept: M-F: 09.00-19.00; Sat-Sun: 09.00-17.00
- E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web: www.clujtourism.ro
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ClujTourism/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/ClujTourism
- Youtube: Cluj Tourism
- Instagram: Cluj Tourism
- App (IOS, Google Play & Windows): Cluj Tourism
Other important monasteries in Romania