Cities / Towns in Romania → Tourist attractions in or nearby the city of Cluj-Napoca
Crucea Eroilor Neamului (RO) - The Cross of the National Heroes (EN)
- The monument is the work of the architect Virgil Salvanu, it is 23 m high and has approximately 60 tons. It bears the inscription of the National Heroes and it was inaugurated on December 1st 1997, the National Day of Romania, being dedicated to the memory of the martyrs of the Revolution from 1848-1849.
- It is located in the Cetăţuia Park (Parcul Cetăţuia), on the hill with the same name, from where a beautiful panorama of the entire city can be admired. During the period of the Habsburg domination, the accommodation place of the Austrian garrison was placed here.
- The fortress also served as prison, particularly during the Revolution from 1848 and in 1848, the pastor Stephan Ludwing Roth, leader of the German community, being imprisoned and executed in this fortress at the order of the leader of the Hungarian revolution from 1848, Lajos Kossuth. Between 1936 and 1937, the Greek Catholic bishop, Iuliu Hossu, builds here a crucifix in the memory of those imprisoned in this fortress for defending national causes, on the same location being afterwards built the present monument.
The Cross of the National Heroes from Cluj-Napoca
The local tourist information center click below for more details...
CENTRUL NAŢIONAL DE INFORMARE ŞI PROMOVARE TURISTICĂ CLUJ
The source of the texts/images/photos: CNIPT Cluj. Copyright© CNIPT Cluj
Get to know about the other tourist attractions in Cluj-Napoca and nearby!
TOP 10 MONUMENTS IN ROMANIA
- Str. Memorandumului nr. 21, Cluj-Napoca
- Tel / fax: 0264-450.410
- Program: Oct-Apr: Monday-Sunday: 09.00-17.00
- May-Sept: M-F: 09.00-19.00; Sat-Sun: 09.00-17.00
- E-Mail: email@example.com
- Web: www.clujtourism.ro
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ClujTourism/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/ClujTourism
- Youtube: Cluj Tourism
- Instagram: Cluj Tourism
- App (IOS, Google Play & Windows): Cluj Tourism
Other monuments in Romania