Town name: Cluj-Napoca
Town location: Cluj (CJ) county.
Short presentation: Cluj-Napoca (in the past/present Claudiopolis, Klausenburg, Kolozsvár) is the seat of Cluj County in the Northwestern part of Romania, also being known as the capital of Transylvania or "the treasure city". Cluj had as its first stage of development the former Roman settlement Napoca.
In the 11th century a Benedictine community settled down here and established the abbey from Calvaria - the second ecclesiastical institution of Transylvania, which was under the jurisdiction of the archbishop of Esztergom of Hungary. After the Mongol invasion between 1241-1242, Cluj has continued to expand in order to be granted the status of "civitas" in 1316 by king Charles Robert of Anjou, afterwards in 1405 acquiring the status of free-royal city.
Nowadays, Cluj-Napoca is among the most active cities in the cultural area, having a valuable patrimony, a renowned reputation in education and culture, as well as prestigious institutions. With more than 100 software companies and universities which provide qualified personnel, Cluj-Napoca has also turned into a major IT centre. The richness of monuments and historical attractions, as well as the architectural heritage - most of these included in the national circuit - represent a certain and permanent tourism resource.
The source of the texts/images/photos: CNIPT Cluj. Copyright© CNIPT ClujThe local tourist information center click below for more details...