Commune / Village name & location: Charlottenburg, Timiş (TM) county, Romania.

Short presentation:
  • The Charlottenburg village, also known as Sarlota or Barita, is the only round village in Romania, being founded by 32 families of immigrants.
  • The first attestation of the village is dating back to 1771.
  • Count Karl Ignaz Clary-Aldringen, at that time the head of the Banat administration, ordered the construction of a circular village, with an inner diameter of 210 meters, and all the houses in the village to be at exactly the same height. In time, a school and church have been erected in the center of the village. According to the legend, the name of the village comes from the name of count's wife, Charlotte.
The Charlottenburg village environment → Ambianţa satului Charlottenburg
  • The Romano-Catholic Church of the Holy Trinity in the village dates back to 1876, being erected by a noble family. The beautiful Swabian houses and the circular shape of the village attract curious tourists of all kind. Once in Charlottenburg, it will take a while to perceive the village's unusual circular form. For this reason the entire locality was declared a historical monument.
The secular mulberry trees → Duzii seculari
  • In the beginning, in the middle of Charlottenburg village was a fountain and a plantation of mulberry trees. Over time, most trees have been cut. The uncut mulberry trees are now hundreds of years old and can be admired during your visit.
The hunting museum → Muzeul cinegetic
  • The building, today a historic monument, was built in 1890 by Count Siegfrid von Wimpffen. The museum was set up in 2014, when it was renovated and includes collections awarded at national exhibitions. The staff here can give you information about museum's exhibits and about the hunting park. Access highlights: In front of the museum there is a panel with the name of the museum. The museum is located behind the Roman-Catholic church, opposite the kindergarten.
The hunting park → Parcul de vânătoare
  • At the end of the 19th century, a deer hunting park was set up in Charlottenburg village. Then, it was populated with deer from Bohemia, Germany and Austria. Over the time it became the patrimony of the Romanian Royal House, and now is managed by the Forestry District of Timişoara. This hunting park with its diameter of 18 km is the oldest in Romania, having an uninterrupted activity for more than a century.


Other communes / villages with tourist attractions in Romania
  • Comana
  • Drăguş
  • Cârlibaba
  • Bazna
  • Siria
  • Preluca Nouă