Cities / Towns in Romania → Tourist attractions in or nearby the city of Zalău
Cetatea medievală (RO) - The Medieval Fortress (EN)
Cetatea medievală din Cheud
- Location: Cheud village, Sălaj (SJ) county.
- The fortress was erected on the Fortress Hill – area that ensured visibility towards the road from Baia Mare and Jibou, at approximately 2.5 km from Cheud village.
- It seems that here used to be a fortification ever since the 8th century, destroyed during the invasion of the Tatars in the 13th century, and its reconstruction was made at the counsel of the Pope and with the support of the Benedictine, Franciscan and Cistercian Orders, settled inside the Carpathian arch. This way, the Aranyas city – hungarian name, was rebuilt, and the name means golden, being associated with the way in which sun rays fell on the fortress ramparts, giving it that colour.
The Medieval Fortress from Cheud, Sălaj county, Romania
The nearest tourist information center click below for more details...
CENTRUL NAŢIONAL DE INFORMARE ŞI PROMOVARE TURISTICĂ ZALĂU
The source of the texts/images/photos: CNIPT Zalău. Copyright© CNIPT Zalău
Get to know about the other tourist attractions in Zalău and nearby!
- Piaţa Iuliu Maniu 4 - 6, Zalău
- tel. 0360-566.100
- Program: 09:00-17:00 (Mon-Sun)
- E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- WEB: www.turismzalau.ro