Cities / Towns in Romania → Tourist attractions in or nearby the city of Cluj-Napoca
Cetatea Bologa (RO) - The Bologa Fortress (EN)
- Shortest distance from Cluj-Napoca: ~66 km.
- Bologa fortress, located at the base of the Vlădeasa Mountain, was one of the most important medieval fortifications from Transylvania. The first documented acknowledgment of the Bologa fortress, from 1304, is under the name of Sebuswar, name kept in the subsequent references.
- Bologa fortress was used without interruption until the 18th century, suffering many transformations and additions. The fortress distinguishes itself due its circular donjon, one of the few preserved in Transylvania.
- In 1399, the fortress was donated by King Sigismund of Luxemburg to prince Mircea cel Bătrân in recognition of his contribution brought in the anti-Ottoman wars. Its importance grew in the 17th century, after Oradea was conquered by the Turkish people, when the garrison of Bologa fortress stops the intrusion of the Turkish army through Crişul Repede pass. At the beginning of the 18th century, during the liberation war led by the Transylvanian prince, Francisc Rákóczi II, against the Habsburg domination of Hungary, the fortress was blown up by the Habsburg soldiers in order not to fall into the hands of the kurutz rebels, who were the supporters of the liberation movement. At the middle of the 20th century, the tower lost its roof, one of the last preserved wooden components.
The Bologa Fortress, Cluj county, Romania
The nearest tourist information center click below for more details...
CENTRUL NAŢIONAL DE INFORMARE ŞI PROMOVARE TURISTICĂ CLUJ
The source of the texts/images/photos: CNIPT Cluj. Copyright© CNIPT Cluj
Get to know about the other tourist attractions in Cluj-Napoca and nearby!
- Str. Memorandumului nr. 21, Cluj-Napoca
- Tel / fax: 0264-450.410
- Program: Oct-Apr: Monday-Sunday: 09.00-17.00
- May-Sept: M-F: 09.00-19.00; Sat-Sun: 09.00-17.00
- E-Mail: email@example.com
- Web: www.clujtourism.ro
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ClujTourism/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/ClujTourism
- Youtube: Cluj Tourism
- Instagram: Cluj Tourism
- App (IOS, Google Play & Windows): Cluj Tourism