Cities / Towns in Romania → Tourist attractions in or nearby the city of Cluj-Napoca
Catedrala Mitropolitană Ortodoxă Adormirea Maicii Domnului (RO)
Catedrala Mitropolitană Ortodoxă Adormirea Maicii Domnului
The Assumption of Virgin Mary Orthodox Metropolitan Cathedral (EN)
The Assumption of Virgin Mary Orthodox Metropolitan Cathedral from Cluj-Napoca
- The year 1918 marks the establishment of the Romanian unitary state as a result of the political-administrative union of the Romanian territories under the jurisdiction of the Austrian-Hungarian Empire and of the Czarist Empire with Romania Kingdom.
- After 1918, the orthodox throne carrying the title of the Episcopacy of Vad, Feleac and Cluj is reerected in Cluj. Between 1923 and 1933, the Episcopal Cathedral is built in front of "Lucian Blaga" National Theatre of Cluj-Napoca from Avram Iancu Square, on the initiative of the bishop Nicolae Ivan and with the support of the Royal House of Romania.
- The cathedral was built according to the architectural plan made by George Cristinel and Constantin Pomponiu, resulting in a byzantine monument carrying specific features of the brâncovenesc style. The Recession from 1930 did not allow the completion of the initial work, however the cathedral was inaugurated on November 5th 1933.
- Between 1997 and 2000, on the initiative of the Archbishop Bartolomeu Anania, an extensive renovation process of the cathedral begins, due to which aspects from the initial project, which could not had been worked out in the ‘30s, were then included. Thus, the four small towers that bordered the central tower were added, while the bases and capitals of the monumental columns from the dome of the big tower, the eight stone carved medallions and the stone arches from the lateral facades were sculpted.
- At the present, a museum (Muzeul Mitropoliei Clujului - The Museum of Cluj Metropolitan Church) which was opened in the basement of the cathedral, presents the history of the Orthodox eparchies from Cluj area, the iconographic art starting with the 14th century and the crypt of the hierarchs.
The local tourist information center click below for more details...
CENTRUL NAŢIONAL DE INFORMARE ŞI PROMOVARE TURISTICĂ CLUJ
The source of the texts/images/photos: CNIPT Cluj. Copyright© CNIPT Cluj
Get to know about the other tourist attractions in Cluj-Napoca and nearby!
- Str. Memorandumului nr. 21, Cluj-Napoca
- Tel / fax: 0264-450.410
- Program: Oct-Apr: Monday-Sunday: 09.00-17.00
- May-Sept: M-F: 09.00-19.00; Sat-Sun: 09.00-17.00
- E-Mail: email@example.com
- Web: www.clujtourism.ro
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ClujTourism/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/ClujTourism
- Youtube: Cluj Tourism
- Instagram: Cluj Tourism
- App (IOS, Google Play & Windows): Cluj Tourism