Cities / Towns in Romania → Tourist attractions in or nearby the city of Caransebeș
Catedrala istorică Sfântul Mare Mucenic Gheorghe (RO)
Catedrala istorică Sfântul Mare Mucenic Gheorghe Caransebeș
The historical Orthodox Cathedral St. George (EN)
- The historical Cathedral and the Church ″St. John the Baptist″ are the first ecclesiastic monuments with provincial baroque architecture.
- The historical Orthodox Cathedral dates back to 1739. It replaces an old abbey, built in 1444. During time, the building hosted, beside an abbey, the first library in Caransebeș and a school of deacons. It was cathedral between 1865 and 2010, when the new cathedral was blessed. Even though it is not a cathedral anymore, the church remains one of the most important ecclesiastic monuments in Caransebeș and is named as "the historical cathedral".
The historical Orthodox Cathedral St. George in Caransebeș
Caraș-Severin county, Romania (© Doru Luțai)
The local tourist information center click below for more details...
CENTRUL NAŢIONAL DE INFORMARE ŞI PROMOVARE TURISTICĂ A MUNICIPIULUI CARANSEBEȘ
The source of the texts/images/photos: CNIPT Caransebeș. Copyright© CNIPT Caransebeș
Get to know about the other tourist attractions in Caransebeș and nearby!
- Piața General Ioan Dragalina nr.2A, Municipiul Caransebeș, jud. Caraș-Severin, România
- Tel / fax: 0355-429.955
- Program: Monday - Sunday: 1000 - 1700
- E-Mail: email@example.com
- Web: http://cnipt-caransebes.ro