Cities / Towns in Romania → Tourist attractions in or nearby the city of Cluj-Napoca
Catedrala Armeano-Catolică din Gherla (RO)
Catedrala Armeano-Catolică din Gherla
The Armenian Catholic Cathedral from Gherla (EN)
- Shortest distance from Cluj-Napoca: ~43 km.
- The town of Gherla is known in medieval times under the name Armenopolis, being one of the important centres of the Armenian community in Central and South-Eastern Europe. A prosperous community of merchants decide to erect an Episcopal cathedral in 1748. Between 1748 and 1804, in the centre of the city, a monumental Baroque church dedicated to the Holy Trinity, as well as to Saint Gregory the Enlightener, is erected.
- The edifice represents an architectural monument of the Transylvanian Baroque style. Three spires were erected above the main entrance - a main spire framed by two smaller side spires. Besides the main altar there are other four altars: one dedicated to the Virgin Mary, another one dedicated to St. Gregory the Enlightener, the altar dedicated to St. Joseph and the altar dedicated to St. John of Nepomuk. The main altar and the side altars are decorated with Baroque paintings and statues.
- Inside the church there is a painting named "the Descent of Jesus from the Cross", which is assumed to be the work of Rubens. This work was gifted by Emperor Francisc I in recognition of the significant donations made to the imperial thesaurus. The church had a fence where the statues of the apostles were found on. In 1960 this fence was pulled down, the statues being moved inside the church at the northern entrance, respectively within the hall of the church. The statues of St. Apostles Peter and Paul are found in natural sizes.
|The Armenian Catholic Cathedral
|Rubens: The Descent of Jesus from the Cross
In this area you may also like to visit:
CENTRUL NAŢIONAL DE INFORMARE ŞI PROMOVARE TURISTICĂ CLUJ
The source of the texts/images/photos: CNIPT Cluj. Copyright© CNIPT Cluj
Get to know about the other tourist attractions in Cluj-Napoca and nearby!
- Str. Memorandumului nr. 21, Cluj-Napoca
- Tel / fax: 0264-450.410
- Program: Oct-Apr: Monday-Sunday: 09.00-17.00
- May-Sept: M-F: 09.00-19.00; Sat-Sun: 09.00-17.00
- E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web: www.clujtourism.ro
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ClujTourism/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/ClujTourism
- Youtube: Cluj Tourism
- Instagram: Cluj Tourism
- App (IOS, Google Play & Windows): Cluj Tourism