Cities / Towns in Romania → Tourist attractions in or nearby the city of Cluj-Napoca
Biserica Romano-Catolică Sfântul Mihail (RO)
Biserica Romano-Catolică Sfântul Mihail
Saint Michael Roman-Catholic Church (EN)
- St. Michael Church, which rises above one of the central squares of the city - Piaţa Unirii (Unirii Square) - is an important Gothic edifice from Transylvania. The Neogothic tower together with the cross from its top have a height of 80 m.
- The beginning of the construction dates from 1316, in the time of King Carol Robert de Anjou. The city had reached a major stage of development which demanded the construction of such building and the chosen place was the Main Square of the city, instead of an older church. In 1349, a document was issued by the papal chancery from Avignon, a so-called clemency, by which it was promised the forgiveness of sins for those who offered donations to "St. Michael" Church.
- In 1400, Pope Bonifacius IX issues a paper by which he encourages all worshipers from Europe to support the building of the "Saint Michael" Church. The edifice will be finalized in 1442, as indicated by an inscription placed on the second abutment, located to the West from the Southern gate of the church.
- One of the most important decorations of the church, the doorframe of the sacristy entrance, dates from 1528 and is built in the late Renaissance style. Numerous sessions of the Transylvanian Diet were held here and the princes Sigismund Báthory, Sigismund Rákóczi, Gabriel Báthory and Gabriel Bethlen were enthroned inside this church.
Saint Michael Roman-Catholic Church from Cluj-Napoca
The local tourist information center click below for more details...
CENTRUL NAŢIONAL DE INFORMARE ŞI PROMOVARE TURISTICĂ CLUJ
The source of the texts/images/photos: CNIPT Cluj. Copyright© CNIPT Cluj
Get to know about the other tourist attractions in Cluj-Napoca and nearby!
- Str. Memorandumului nr. 21, Cluj-Napoca
- Tel / fax: 0264-450.410
- Program: Oct-Apr: Monday-Sunday: 09.00-17.00
- May-Sept: M-F: 09.00-19.00; Sat-Sun: 09.00-17.00
- E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web: www.clujtourism.ro
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ClujTourism/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/ClujTourism
- Youtube: Cluj Tourism
- Instagram: Cluj Tourism
- App (IOS, Google Play & Windows): Cluj Tourism