Cities / Towns in Romania → Tourist attractions in or nearby the city of Cluj-Napoca
Biserica Romano-Catolică Calvaria (RO)
Biserica Romano-Catolica Calvaria
The Roman-Catholic Church Calvaria (EN)
- In Mănăştur neighborhood, on a hill which in the medieval period dominated the western entrance in the city, we find what is left from one of the most important institutions of medieval Transylvania, the Benedictine abbey from Cluj-Mănăştur. The archaeological research carried out in this area confirms the existence of a fortification from the 9th century.
- Starting with the 11th century, the hill was fortified being used the technique of the time, such as building walls made of mould and logs. Inside fortifications, in the 11th century, the Benedictine abbey was built and did not come under the jurisdiction of the Roman-Catholic Episcopacy from Alba Iulia, but was directly subordinated to the Archbishop of Esztergom.
- The tartar invasion from 1241 destroyed the abbey, the only element which can be considered to belong to the Benedictine edifice being the lion found on the South-Eastern wall of the present church.
- The present church was built after 1896 and includes several elements of the churches from previous periods: the old gate of the church or a sun dial on which the name of Anton the abbot can be identified. Around the church are found funerary monuments from the 16th – 19th centuries.
The Roman-Catholic Church Calvaria from Cluj-Napoca
The local tourist information center click below for more details...
CENTRUL NAŢIONAL DE INFORMARE ŞI PROMOVARE TURISTICĂ CLUJ
The source of the texts/images/photos: CNIPT Cluj. Copyright© CNIPT Cluj
Get to know about the other tourist attractions in Cluj-Napoca and nearby!
- Str. Memorandumului nr. 21, Cluj-Napoca
- Tel / fax: 0264-450.410
- Program: Oct-Apr: Monday-Sunday: 09.00-17.00
- May-Sept: M-F: 09.00-19.00; Sat-Sun: 09.00-17.00
- E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web: www.clujtourism.ro
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ClujTourism/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/ClujTourism
- Youtube: Cluj Tourism
- Instagram: Cluj Tourism
- App (IOS, Google Play & Windows): Cluj Tourism