Cities / Towns in Romania → Tourist attractions in or nearby the city of Cluj-Napoca
Biserica Mănăstirii Franciscane (RO)
Biserica Mănăstirii Franciscane
The Church of the Franciscan Monastery (EN)
- The church and the Franciscan monastery is located in Cetatea Veche (Old Fortress) - the present Piaţa Muzeului (Museum Square) - the worship place being built on the place where first church of the city existed in the 11th century. In 1390, St. Michael Church (Biserica Romano-Catolică Sfântul Mihail) served as parochial church, while this location was given to the Dominican order. The Dominican monks started to build the current edifices within the precinct of the monastery, with the given support of Iancu de Hunedoara.
- The year 1556 marks the beginning of the reform in Cluj, the monks are chased away from the city and, starting with 1693, along with the proclamation of the Habsburg Monarchy over Transylvania, the church and buildings are given to the Jesuits Order. In 1697 a fire burned up the church and the buildings, the Gothic arch being permanently destroyed, afterwards the Jesuits began building a new church on Universităţii Street - today the Piarist Church (Biserica Piariştilor). In 1728, the Franciscan order commenced the Baroque reconstruction of the church which lasted until 1745.
- The church is build in nave architectural form which still preserves traces of Gothic elements, the traces of former windows and of the abutments. In the center of the altar there can be found a religious painting from 1730, this being an accurate copy of a painting from "Santa Maria Magiore" Church of Rome. Funerary monuments of Transylvanian aristocrats are found in the lateral chapels, the most important being the one of Korniş family.
- This monument was built on the initiative of Count Sigismund Korniş, the governor of Transylvania between 1713 and 1731. He brings a crucifix of impressive sizes from the chapel of the castle from Mănăstireni that can be considered the most important work of art from the church.
- In 1949, the Franciscan order was dissolved within the Romanian territory and the Franciscan monks returned to Cluj-Napoca after 1990, when a trial concerning retrocession of owned properties had been launched.
The Church of the Franciscan Monastery from Cluj-Napoca
The local tourist information center click below for more details...
CENTRUL NAŢIONAL DE INFORMARE ŞI PROMOVARE TURISTICĂ CLUJ
The source of the texts/images/photos: CNIPT Cluj. Copyright© CNIPT Cluj
Get to know about the other tourist attractions in Cluj-Napoca and nearby!
- Str. Memorandumului nr. 21, Cluj-Napoca
- Tel / fax: 0264-450.410
- Program: Oct-Apr: Monday-Sunday: 09.00-17.00
- May-Sept: M-F: 09.00-19.00; Sat-Sun: 09.00-17.00
- E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web: www.clujtourism.ro
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ClujTourism/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/ClujTourism
- Youtube: Cluj Tourism
- Instagram: Cluj Tourism
- App (IOS, Google Play & Windows): Cluj Tourism