Cities / Towns in Romania → Tourist attractions in or nearby the city of Cluj-Napoca
Ansamblul Monumental Matei Corvin (RO)
Ansamblul Monumental Matei Corvin
The Matthias Corvinus Monumental Complex (EN)
- The statue of Matthias Corvinus, in fact the sculptural ensemble which portrays the Hungarian King Matthias Corvinus (1443-1490), is located in Piaţa Unirii, the central public space of the medieval city Klausenburg, at approximately 500 metres from the house (Casa Matei Corvin) in which he was born in 1443 as son of Iancu de Hunedoara (1407-1456) and Elisabeta Silaghi (Szilágyi Erzsébet).
- The layout of this statue was designed by the sculptors Fadrusz János and Lajos Pakey, winning in 1900 the highest award of the Universal Exhibition from Paris. Fadrusz János (alone) is also the author of the Wesselényi staute (Grupul statuar Wesselényi Zalău).
- Matthias Corvinus is surrounded by his four contemporary leaders: Blasiu Magyar – the commander of the Black Army, Stephen Zapolya – the second man of importance in the Hungarian state, Paul Chinezul – the leader of Timiş County and Ștefan Báthory – the voivode of Transylvania.
- The monument is made of bronze and it was inaugurated in 1902. In 1919, the historian Nicolae Iorga strives in preserving the statue in its current location, placing a small stone on the pedestal which mentions the Romanian origin of the Hungarian king.
The Matthias Corvinus Monumental Complex from Cluj-Napoca
The local tourist information center click below for more details...
CENTRUL NAŢIONAL DE INFORMARE ŞI PROMOVARE TURISTICĂ CLUJ
The source of the texts/images/photos: CNIPT Cluj. Copyright© CNIPT Cluj
Get to know about the other tourist attractions in Cluj-Napoca and nearby!
TOP 10 MONUMENTS IN ROMANIA
- Str. Memorandumului nr. 21, Cluj-Napoca
- Tel / fax: 0264-450.410
- Program: Oct-Apr: Monday-Sunday: 09.00-17.00
- May-Sept: M-F: 09.00-19.00; Sat-Sun: 09.00-17.00
- E-Mail: email@example.com
- Web: www.clujtourism.ro
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ClujTourism/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/ClujTourism
- Youtube: Cluj Tourism
- Instagram: Cluj Tourism
- App (IOS, Google Play & Windows): Cluj Tourism
Other monuments in Romania